Thursday, November 12, 2009

Day 6 (23 Oct, Fri) Tengboche to Dingboche - 4400m

I had the worst morning that I could recall for a long time.
The previous night I slept around 9pm, then I woke up and thought that it was going to be dawn, but my watch was showing 1245am. From that time till 3am, I was in & out of sleep as my body was not comfortable - breathing through my mouth (short of breath), stomach feeling funny (because of Diarrhea), mild headache (because of AMS), Flu & Sore Throat. Around 3am, my headache got worse and I could not sleep and lost control my mind - thoughts were flying everywhere. At the same time, I had to get out of the Tent to relieve myself (stupid Diarrhea) and it was quite cold outside the tent.
.
After returning from the toilet, I felt much better and headache subsidied. I went back to sleep and woke up again at 6am when I felt weak and vomitted. Now, I was really worried of not being able to climb any further, and delaying my friends if I could not walk anymore.
.
During the breakfast, I had no mood to talk. My head was spinning & I was feeling Dizzy - I knew my mind was not clear and my coordination was affected. I remembered knocking into things and forgetting where I placed my things (my hat etc..). I kept reading the booklet for common AMS symptoms- Headache, Nausea, Vomiting, Fatigue, Poor Appetite, Dizziness & Sleep disturbance. I had all the symptoms except poor appetite. The recommendation of the book was not to ascend any further (but I know that the book tends to be more conservative)
.
After my oat porridge breakfast, I took lotsa supplement & medicine including Diamox (AMS drug). I packed my SLR camera into my bag, as I had no mood for anything and I only had one goal in mind - to reach the lunch point destination.


Everest & Lhotse
(Taken in the morning)
I had no mood, but the view was too good to be missed.
.
.
.


HY & our Tent
.
.
.
The Diamox worked! I was feeling much better during lunchtime.
I still had other body discomforts, but the headache was GONE!!!
I took out my camera again.


View of Lhotse
(Taken after lunch)
.
.
.


Another View on the trek with Lhotse at the top right
.
.
.

Jumping Shoots!!!
.
.
.

Trekking towards Dingboche (the settlement at the left)
.
.
.

Cloud set in around 5pm
.
.
.

Magical!
.
.
.

Instant Noodle (Mee Xian) from Singapore
It tasted like Heaven!!!
.
.
.
Another Heavenly experience:
It was my fifth day of trek, and I took my first shower.
It was only 10min Hot Shower.
Costed me 300 NRps (S$6)
Satisfaction: Priceless... Aww......

2 comments:

  1. Hey dude, sorry to hear about your sickness. It sounded really dreadful. Any idea how you caught the altitude sickness and what would you have done differently to prevent it on hindsight?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, there is no way to know if a person is susceptible to AMS. The only way to reduce AMS is to acclimatize, which means ascend slowly. However, if you fall sick, it will affect the acclimatization (ie. the body wll produce more red blood cells etc..)

    ReplyDelete